Re: [Debconf-team] RFH: scheduling DebConf10

On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 17:52 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> hey folks--
>
> at the global-team meeting today, i volunteered to work on scheduling
> the accepted talks for DebConf10.
>
> I've never done this before, and would appreciate any advice or
> assistance anyone has to offer.  I'll almost certainly need reasonable
> liaisons from the venue team, the video team, and the talks team.
>
> We've promised a schedule by June 15th, 10 days away.  Advice from
> anyone who has done this before would be awesome.

Hi Daniel,

I was involved in doing the scheduling for LCA 2010.  What we did was to
write every talk onto a post-it note, and then we drew up a whiteboard
with columns for each day, and within that with columns for each room.

We then stuck all the post-it's onto the whiteboard pretty much randomly
and moved some of them around to avoid wrong-sized rooms, put good stuff
for opening & closing, avoid scheduling clashes, ...

This worked well for a face to face, but might not be quite so good for
a team based around the world :-)

As an alternative though, I can provide accounts on a caldav server. We
can then create a calendar for each room, and events for each accepted
talk, and move them around in much the same manner using a CalDAV client
such as Evolution, Lightning or Sunbird.  We can very likely create the
inital events from an export of data in Penta.

Once we're happy I can export the data to SQL to be loaded into Penta,
and we also have a set of .ics files for the conference.

Just as an option, anyway, depending on whether you want to get
technological about it.

Cheers,
					Andrew.

andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
   Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone.