Re: [Debconf-team] My thoughts on reconfirmation, fundraising, etc

Hi!

I was also asked to add some opinion to this topic, as former DC orga.

I think Pablo made some good point and I agree completely with what
Marga said. I want to stress that asking people to work in exchange of
the sponsorship was a great idea, as it offered a good way to the
newcomers to know people already in the project, have fun and their
work made a big difference to make a better conference.

I would like to add that we also thought about the $tourists not only
as a financial burden, but as a moral issue. Knowing that some people
is taking paid holidays thanks to debconf is wrong to the sponsors,
but is also really demotivating when you realise that they are
profiting from the hard work you had put for months on end. I guess I
don't need to talk about how much work is to organise a debconf...

I'd say that delaying this issue is not a good idea, first because the
problem is not only money, but also because then you'll have to extend
the deadlines for people to be able to fill the forms, herb@ taking
decisions, etc...

I'm not following the IRC channel much, but I heard also about one of
the locals (name intentionally not said) offering to go home everyday
and bring its own meals. I think that that is completely unfair for
him, he will lose a lot of what debconf is about, and no financial
problem should force a local-team member to have to go through all
this inconvenience, even if he lives 500m from the venue.

My 2¢...

--
Martín Ferrari