[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf10-localteam] DC10 date options

I didn't want to co-mingle my vote with the additional data I was
providing in the previous email, so this one counts as my vote.

* Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@debian.org> [2009-10-14 12:24-0400]:
> a) June 12th-27th (including setup, debcamp, debconf, departure/cleanup)
> Pros: - nicer weather (less hot/humid than option b), on average by about 2
> 		      degC and 1.1cm of precipitation, though NYC weather is
>                       more variable this suggests during both time
> 		      periods)

As pointed out by folks, this is a gamble because sometimes the weather
in June is just as bad as July. For those of you saying it can't be as
bad as Cacerces, that may be true in pure degrees, but the difference is
in the humidity. Personally, I can tolerate significantly higher
temperatures if the climate is dry. When you are breathing water, and
your clothes are sticking, its a lot harder to deal.

>       - all lodging in one building

I would say that this isn't that significant. Having shared hang-out
space is important, but that doesn't have to be where people finally lay
their heads.

>       - doesn't conflict with European vacations

Europeans get vacations? What a neat idea! We should try that here.

> Cons: - we might not be able to get sufficient lodging to use this option
>         due to possible renovations; would know for sure at an unknown time
>         in november

This means that we have to hold off on things for another month, I think
it would be nice to get this resolved now if possible.

>       - some lodging slightly further away than in option b) but still
>         manageable

As pointed out in the previous email, not a big difference here. 

>       - one talk room would be unavailable during DebCamp due to an
>         overlapping ACM conference; more people would therefore be around but
>         we would still be able to get enough space for DebCamp
>         purposes

I also dont think this is a big deal.

Another Con is that this is during my birthday!

> b) July 24th-August 8th (including setup, debcamp, debconf, departure/cleanup)
> Pros: - we can get a commitment on this option now; they have tentatively
>         blocked out 300 beds for us, with it being easy to add more

This is a pretty attractive reason. Locking in would give us a sense of
security that things are going to work out, allow us to move forwards
and enable us to finally announce dates.

>       - coincides with European vacations

pff, vacation is for people who like to waste their time enjoying life.

> Cons: - The weather may be a bit hotter and more humid
>       - lodging spread out over two/three buildings, but all of them are much
>         much closer than MT and FdS were at dc9 (2-4 minute walk
> between them)

I think the only con here is crossing Broadway (for those who are at
River), which isn't that big of a deal.

>       - it's more relevant that some lodging lacks air conditioning, though
>         fans plus open windows will likely be an effective substitute
this seems to be a non-issue now.

>       - conflicts with European vacations

Oh I see, they get it both ways?

>       - works badly for Sledge's vacation :(

Doesn't Debconf count as vacation?

Its a hard one for me... for some reason I like the idea of having one
building, instead of two, and River seemed further away to me than the
distances really are. However, I think that Ruggles being so close
essentially cancels out the River concerns, and being able to finalize
the room situation is really attractive. So I guess I'd go with option


Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: