Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf10 - call for Location proposals

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 03:51:53PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > Do you have evidence of this? My understanding is that fingerprints aren't part
> > of the Passenger Name Record info that's shared with the US government by
> > airlines on flights to the US. (It's possible that Ana's government might share
> > it independently of your travel; I have no idea what agreements are in place
> > about that.)
> >

> I have a passport that allows me enters in the USA and my goverment does not
> need to send more information about me, at least, not without my agreement.

I agree with you, though apparently it's being developed in the EU too, with several EU governments going really far with their proposals:

http://www.statewatch.org/eu-pnrobservatory.htm

The EU is actually going farther than the US in some regards; we're not putting
our fingerprints in our passports, while various parts of the EU (especially
the Schengen area) are indeed rolling that out. They're also working on
fingerprinting visitors sometime in the next decade. The various interests
(intelligence, corporate, security theater, etc) which are pushing these sorts
of changes are doing it worldwide. I want the US to undo these changes too, but
it looks like the differences between the US and EU in this regard are
narrowing in the direction of more of this crap in both regions. So unless
you're planning to move to some rare part of the world that isn't doing this,
going to the EU and the US will become equally bad in these regards.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org