[Debconf-team] My vote as dc7 venue delegate

Hi!

Ever since I became deeper involved in DebConf more than two years ago,
I was always wondering myself if the fun is worth the amount of work and
stress it brings.

So far, I kept on going, because
a) I considered DebConf to be very important,
b) someone has to do the job and
c) some people told me, that I was doing a good job.

I never expected DebConf to be fun all the time; as everything, DebConf
has and had it's ups and downs.  But at this point I must come to the
conclusion, that it's not worth it any more.

I don't intend to work for DebConf any more for several reasons.  I wish
those, who continue working on it all the best, and hope someone will
keep on going.  I still consider DebConf an important event.  I just no
longer want to be an organizer of it.

Some of the reasons, which made me think it's time to leave, are:
a) I dislike the way the team is "lead"
b) I dislike the way my concerns and remarks are more or less ignored
c) I dislike the way decisions are made
d) I dislike the way it is starting to affect myself

That's not just the stress being a delegate to decide for next years
venue, some points started sooner, I just kept ignoring them.

For example I always thought and still think that stockholms way of
leading the team is completly wrong; IMHO he's treating other team mates
more as usefulls tools than companions.  I already talked with him about
that, and while he mentions he's trying to improve himself I don't see
any improvement at all.

The funny thing about this is, that I thought it was just me, who thinks
so, for a long time.  Today I know that I'm not alone.  Others think
similar, but keep on going, since they take DebConf as too important.
Some others just don't join the team at all, although they would be
interested in it.

I no longer think, that I want to continue ignoring his lack of
so called "leadership skills".

An other major point I feel bad about, is the way decision are made
curently.  I really don't think we are acting like a team any more.
Important parts of what was the team have been or will be left out
during recent decisions (even though we still tell them, that we listen
to them).

And the majority of the rest of the delegates don't consider that
to be a problem, even when I raise my concerns or point to things that
could and will go wrong.

The last drop, that made me think it would be better for me to leave,
was when the decision for the private delegate meeting was made and
later discussed.  Seeing other delegates using all these arguments I
consider as plain wrong ("And anyway, if we _were_ hiding, we could do
it anyway.";  "the thing most dont seem to get is: we could have done
all this without anyone noticing it, without telling it anyone. we
decided against, and we make it public." and similar), made me again
rethink, if I still want to be part of this kind of delegation.

Dear team, dear _real_ team, since the day I became a delegate I failed
to respect what you have done for debconf and to raise the concerns
I had myself in such a way, that the other delegates would listen to me.
I'm sorry.

I came to the conslusion, that "no" is the only answer I can live with.
No, I don't want to be a delegate ignoring the team that formed DebConf.
No, I don't want to be a member of a team, when my concerns are always
ignored or not taken serious by the leading members.  No, I don't want
to be a member of a team, "lead" by stockholm.

Therefore I am retiring from the team as it is now and from being a
delegate for the venue of the next debconf.

Thanks for reading and suporting me through past times,
  Alexander

PS:  If someone still cares, I would have voted for Edinburgh.