Re: [Debconf-team] "Global" favourite

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 07:12:56AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

> When it comes at travel, I can bet that travelling to Sarajevo or
> Edinburgh from outside Europe is actually not much more expensive than
> travelling to one of the major European hubs (London, Paris,
> Amsterdam, Frankfurt) through one of the major airline companies
> alliances.

That's not entirely accurate. I just did a quick search on flights into SJJ
and EDI for June of next year (to compare prices on a relatively equal
scale) and found that prices to SJJ were ~ $1600-$1700 USD *per ticket* and
prices to EDI were ~ $900-$1000 USD *per ticket*. That is quite the price
difference between flying to the two locations from the west coast of the
United States.

And those are just estimates - the prices for EDI were closer to $900, the
prices for SJJ were closer to $1700. About a 700 EUR difference *per
ticket*.

For comparison, for the same search parameters but to CDG (Paris) is ~$1200.
Frankfurt is ~ $1250. London is ~$900. Amsterdam is ~$1100.

SJJ is significantly more expensive to fly to from the US than it is to fly
to EDI, and still a bit more expensive than the major European hubs. I
haven't looked at other countries, unfortunately, but I wouldn't be
surprised to find similar trends flying into Europe.

Witty closing here,
Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski