[Debconf-team] Re: On visas also

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 16:04 -0500, David Moreno Garza wrote:
> How would the Edinburgh guys work this out to get visas for these
> nationals? What could be the best way to get these visas?

To begin by stating the obvious, people need to apply as early as
possible in their home countries.  http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/ has
information for each country, including the form that needs to be filled
out so you can see what information needs to be provided.  People
attending DebConf only need a "visitor" visa (not business/student/
working), which is the easiest kind to get.

According to government statistics, the main reasons given for visa
refusal (there can be more than one reason) are:

65%  Doubts over intention to return to home country/insufficient
     economic or family ties in home country
54%  Inadequate funds for trip
47%  Doubts over credibility of applicant
33%  No evidence of financial circumstances
22%  Lack of knowledge of United Kingdom/course
14%  Forged documentation

Source: National Audit Office Report (HC 367, 2003-04): Visa Entry to
the United Kingdom: The Entry Clearance Operation (Full Report)
http://www.fco.gov.uk/Files/kfile/NAO%20Report%20170604.pdf

As conference organisers, we should help the process as much as possible
by providing letters stating that the person will be attending DebConf,
and where appropriate stating what financial/travel/accommodation/food
sponsorship we are providing to them.  Attendees should in turn make
clear in their applications that they have the money to, and intend to,
return to their home countries after DebConf.

There's more information on what sponsors can/can't do at
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1006977150088

Here are the refusal rates for 2004-2005 (the most recent year for which
figures are available) by region, for all non-settlement visa
applications.  There should *not* be read as predicting the outcome of
new applications from DebConf attendees, but more documentation may be
required to support an application from a region where there are many
refused visas.
                                     Applications       Refused
Australia & South Pacific               46337           339   0.7%
Central Europe & Former Soviet Union   298197         25754   8.6%
Equatorial Africa                      390884        157116  40.2%
Far East                               203921         23672  11.6%
Latin America                           29000          2946  10.2%
Middle East                            217611         15679   7.2%
Near East & Northern Africa            105211         10651  10.1%
North America                          129390          3560   2.8%
South Asia                             584758        175359  30.0%
South East Asia                        129513         11338   8.8%
Southern Africa                         78007         15676  20.1%
Southern Europe                         72911          3644   5.0%
UKvisas, London (diplomatic)              795             0   0.0%
West Indies & Atlantic                  28588         10259  35.9%
Western Europe                         139031          9759   7.0%

Source: UKvisas Global Statistics 2004-05
http://www.fco.gov.uk/Files/kfile/GlobalStats2005,0.pdf

(The full report has the figures broken down to individual countries
also.)

--
Moray
http://www.morayallan.com/