[Debconf-team] Re: On visas also

[ Cleaning the To: and CC: headers, AFAIK David and Moray are subscribed ]

On 06/17/2006 09:29 PM, David Moreno Garza wrote:
> Moray Allan wrote:
>
>>This certainly won't put *me* off going to Bosnia (and my own government
>>seems less negative about the country), but given the number of
>>Developers in the US it seems worth the DebConf team being aware of the
>>Warning.
>
> I have a personal issue which should come up sooner or later.
>
> After checking quickly if Mexican citizens were required to get a visa
> to enter Bosnia, I took a deeply look into it.
[...]
> Apparently, as Mexican citizen, I have to travel to one of the Bosnian
> consulates on the US (located in Washington, Chicago and NYC, all of
> them in northern US) to a personal interview, according to the Mexican
> government information, which is the *only* way to get the visa. This
> made me look for more information on Latin people, specially since my
> girlfriend, who would be attending also, is Venezuelan.
>
> I found that there's also an embassy in Argentina, but any of those are
> difficult or expensive ways to get the Bosnian visa for me or people
> from north South America: Specially also, since flying to the US to get
> the visa would take up time and stuff to get the American visa for most
> of the people who don't have it (which personally is not my case, but my
> gf doesn't have it, i.e.), and flying to Buenos Aires would be extremely
> expensive.
>
> So, I'd really like to know how people from Latam *really* could do
> these processes. I don't want to think that, since we had DC6 here, now
> it's our turn to not assist to DC7, or not be supported on some way, or
> similar.

	There is no Bosnia Embassy or Consulate in Brazil, it is an
official information. But I checked some websites and almost all of them
pointed out that the VISA is required but it is given on the time of your
arrival at the airport, this information is not official (I get it from
tourist websites and personal blogs after some google and other
related-web search).

	AFAIK, it is not much different from some coutries in Europe,
where a VISA is not required if you are going to stay less than 90
days, but you will be checked at arrival time.

	Maybe, Bosnian local team and Edinburgh local team could check
with their foreign affairs how we could deal with that. Maybe for a
conference we can manage to get the visas, just my two cents.

	Kind regards,

- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)