Re: [Debconf-team] Re: questions for the local team: talks and bofs

Holger Levsen dijo [Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 04:38:54PM +0200]:
> > Umh... I'm not sure if this will be possible. First of all, it's
> > almost a 300m shot - a single cable will not do,
>
> Arg. I thought we would need a long power cable to the tower and somehow
> forgot about network...
>
> > you will have to
> > repeat the signal at least once, and we cannot put our equipment in
> > the middle.
>
> why? and are you sure there is _no_ way^wbuilding or something similar ?

(... Talked over this in IRC ...)

Seems the easiest way will be to set up an encoding server in the
tower and one in our base area, and just use wireless links.

> > Third, we didn't ask for permission, and we won't
> > have access to work in the tower until a day before Debianday IIRC.
>
> Oh! I thought you asked for permission to setup cables everywhere we need
> them...

Technically yes, but strictly, we were talking about the plateau area.

> (...)
> Also note that this 54mbit is "marketing brutto" :-) The available bandwidth
> depends on a few things and some might change... (interference with other
> networks, esp. when they're in use, weather, etc)
>
> That said, I also have not other option than wireless and setting up _one_
> (out of then two) encoding servers in the tower. We'll talk about this in
> tonights video irc meeting.

Ok. Before the meeting this was talked about and basically agreed.

> > > Sorry, I dont understand what you mean here :(
> > We might get an overflow of people for some (few) talks. It would be
> > an interesting solution if you could make a bidirectional live stream
> > from the tower to the hacklab, so we have a videoconference.
>
> Sure, if we stream live to the world (which we will also discuss tonite), we
> surely can stream to the building next door :) Still I rather would prefer
> bigger rooms as a solution, because watching on a projector is not the same.

Yup... But I've seen some press-related movement. I don't think we will
suffer overflow, but we might.

Besides, if it's not hard to do this, it will be a very desirable
option for people with limited movility.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23