Re: [Debconf-team] Re: questions for the local team: talks and bofs

Don Armstrong dijo [Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 07:15:26PM -0700]:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > Andreas Schuldei dijo [Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 09:34:43PM +0200]:
> > > In order to put up the preliminary talks/bofs schedule we need to
> > > know some corner data: how many rooms are there for talks, how
> > > many for bofs, how big are they, when are they available and when
> > > are the meals?
> >
> >   Now, if we assign one large rooms to host talks, we would be left
> >   with three spaces for real hacklab usage: A whole module and the
> >   smaller room in the other one. In work table configuration, this
> >   means the space will nominally be enough for 90 people - But if we
> >   cover the surrounding areas, we will not have overpopulation, I
> >   hope. The terraces are nice, a bit smaller than Smokki's (just to
> >   give a sense of proportion), and if we have wireless coverage in
> >   the pool area, even more space is available.
>

> I guess we should plan on using the 150 person room, and then the
> large space as well, so we'll have a 150 person space, and a 90 person
> space.

No, that would mean a 150 person space and a _60_ person space. The
capacity of 90 people would be for the rest of the hacklab - If you
see the table at the bottom of [1], you will see that in work table
settings we have 20+20+50 capacity.

And, again, I put to consideration: Probably we could split 1/5 of the
tower to make it into the video team's lair? That would free a hotel
room for us, and end up with a saner 180-degrees exposition space
instead of 225-degrees [2].

On the down side, there are two reasons _not_ to have the video team
set in the tower: First and foremost, the tower will have a wireless
link to the rest of our areas, so directly storing in the RAID will be
impossible. Second, we won't have the space available 24h, only during
work hours. So... Scrap it :)

Anyway, we can set up that space as a second (third) conference room
for BoFs or so if we have talks that don't seem very crowding...

> Given that we have ~ 240 people confirmed, iirc, it's possible that
> popular talks will eat all of the space in these rooms.

Agreed... What do you video guys think of setting a simultaneous
exposition in the hacklab room (VC-like) to reduce the congestion in
case we have talks with over 60% interest among our population. Few
talks achieve that popularity, but we should be prepared...

> The last bit I need is for someone to remind me of what times meals
> are going to be at, so I can cook up the timeslots themselves.

As the restaurants are open all day long, lunch times are
flexible. You just assign spaces and times, don't worry :)

Greetings,

[1] http://media.debconf.org/dc6/images/oaxtepec/hacklabs.png

[2] http://media.debconf.org/dc6/images/oaxtepec/parliamentary_tower.png

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23