Re: [Debconf-team] budget woes

Marcela Tiznado dijo [Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 04:59:26AM -0300]:
> Hi all!
>
> We have to save 12k, I think it's not so bad as it sounds :)
>
> What I suggest, is make people choose 2 meals from the 3 promised, nobody would die for having to
> pay for a meal or not having it. We have an average of 13290.20 USD per meal. Doing a quick guess
> people would skip lunch which is the most expensive meal! :)
>
> Maybe adding to comas the 3 options (breakfast, lunch, dinner) you can only choose 2 of those. I
> would have no problem to print the food tickets/card with name allowing that person to only take
> those meals. I think that would make people more confortable, some people can't live without
> breakfast, and some people (me for example) never have breakfast.
>
> If we choose the option we should tell the oaxtepec restaurant to have this in mind..that they would
> probably get more people to eat..if they want to do some cheap Debconf menu.. would be good for them
> and also for us.

This last paragraph worries me - Yes, I know that with tickets we can
make things add up as we want them to - but I don't want the people at
Oaxtepec getting confused with who wanted to eat when and ending up
throwing away tons of uneaten breakfasts.

I think the breakfastless option is sensible. All the rooms have
little fridges, there are many stores of every kind nearby, so people
can go buy some groceries. Besides, along the pool (oppositte side
from restaurant) there are many small places where you can buy food,
and trust me, a good breakfast will be less than 25 pesos - 2 euros.

> Then, if we still need to save money, I think could be saved on the day trip, it's nice to have a
> day trip, but nobody would die if is asked to pay 10US or so for that service, offer people to get
> to reception and ask for daytrip-sponsorship if they really cant afford it, most people would just
> pay it.

Yes, that's another option, but I'd rather not have to charge for the
daytrip - I want people to witness Mexico's historical glory, not put
obstacles for that ;-)

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that some costs will come
down. For example, we _might_ be able to cut costs regarding the
daytrip if a couple of attempts I'm making end up being successful.

> And one more idea, ask people to fill correctly when they arrive to oaxtepec, and when are they
> leaving, maybe we should not care about their flights and ask people to fill that on some wiki. Many
> people is comming before, or leaving after to do some turism....Ive checked the list and they are
> not filling it correctly, this would also be messy for the room alocation. Maybe saying we are
> really short on money would help to make people more careful on what they fill. On the list we have
> 10 people saying they arrive before debconf starts...maybe some of those are not going to be the 6th
> in debcamp.

Yes, I reworded the templates asking for this kind of preciseness. We
will see :) How far off were we last year? I know it was not as
important as this time, but the figures should be useful. And in
Brazil, how was this?

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23