Re: [Debconf-team] Authentication for food

Hi Gunnar et al

I would prefer the meal ticket alternative, for the following reasons:

1) The barcode scanners are cool in theory but in practice they seem to be
a hassle and also pretty cost intensive. Also, to make sure things work
out even if the scanner system f***s up we'd most likely have to print (or
at least prepare) meal tickets anyway. I like the scanners but I feel
unsure about trusting them, expecially considering the fact that we still
don't have them and there would not be much testing.

2) Tickets are the most flexible solution. If I don't like a meal, or
don't need my ticket for any other reason, I can give it to someone else,
or keep it for later and maybe invite someone for a meal, or have two
servings, or etc pp .. you get the idea. This would not be possible with
the scanners or pure visual authentication. Also it seems easier to teach
the people there what a proper ticket looks like then having them operate
the scanners.

3) Pure visual authentication: Debianers are a social crowd. I would
assume there would be at least some (well-meant) abuse. Providing tickets
would still allow people to swap meals or invite others but hopefully the
overall numbers of consumed meals would be the projected one.

Regards,
Meike

--
Meike Reichle - University of Hildesheim

mail:   mrei0999@uni-hildesheim.de
web:    http://www.alphascorpii.net