[Debconf-team] Authentication for food

This weekend we talked some points over with the people at Oaxtepec -
we will report them over several short mails :)

Regarding the restaurant:  They told me the preferred way with large
groups is not to use barcode scanners, not even to use tickets, but to
use visual authentication - the waiters will serve to everybody who
has a Debconf  nametag of the right colors. They say that's what most
large groups do with them. Of course, they will still count how many
meals were served, and it's completely a trust-based relationship - We
will pay for whatever amount they say was served.

Now, this opens up a bit for abuse, as people can give others their
nametags and we get to pay meals for free to other people - but I
would basically hope we can trust our group.

They also agree to use tickets, which would mean more hassle (printing
and counting them for each person), but stronger authentication.

What do you think? Do you oppose the simple trust model?

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23