[Debconf-team] Possible Oaxtepec connectivity options

Hi,

This weekend we went to visit Gnaro's workplace, a cybercafe quite
close to the Oaxtepec entrance. We talked with the owner of the place,
Fabio, who is a knowledgeable person and quite interested in helping
us. I am attaching the map with the relevant information.

The cafe is really close from the place we will be working - I don't
have the map scale with me (we left the map with Jyr and Tigre so they
can use it with Punk0 when he can drop by Oaxtepec), but I guess it's
around 400 meters away - But there is an obstacle: A XVI century
church and a line of high and old trees. At first, I proposed
bulldozing them over, but they feared the locals might have an adverse
reaction to that - So probably we can reach one point from the other
with a ~10m mast. That's something we need to check really soon. As a
second option, Fabio offered to host connectivity at his house (I
don't know the exact location, I just put the yellow dot in the
general direction he pointed me in the map), from where he says he
can directly view the stadium and auditorium.

The cybercafe has very good infrastructure. He has over 20 available
Telmex copper pairs (not active lines, but copper pairs that can be
activated for DSL service), a Cablemás connection, and a DirecTV
satellite data uplink. Fabio also acted as a local ISP for some time,
so he gave us very good insight on the real situation.

Up until now, due to my experiences in Mexico, I strongly advocated
for a DSL based solution, because of the stability and effective
bandwidth they offer - Fabio says in Oaxtepec the situation is
inverted. The last mile infrastructure from the phone central is
certainly not stellar, so his DSL lines have a lot of
intermitency. He is also worried that the region as a whole does not
have enough available bandwidth - I saw many small cybercafes in the
town, but he assures me they are all at 512k, probably the Telmex
local station has not more than what they actually offer, and they
would be hard-pressed if we suddenly demand a 10Mbps
increase. Cablemás signal is much more reliable, and in Morelos state,
they have better overall bandwidth (their connectivity point is in
Cuernavaca, ~50km away, and they have 3 E3 lines, 100Mbps). Yes, they
do oversell their services as every ISP does, but not as severely as
the cable operators here in Mexico City. Besides, it will be much
easier to get them to give us a fixed IP address.

I didn't really ask about the satellite link, as its latency makes it
a good choice for very few cases, but it's a possibility we can also
look at if we cannot get enough bandwidth combining Telmex and
Cablemás. Now, I need (and that's why I'm also including -localteam in
this mail) somebody to help me get the definitive information on
pricing, availability and installation times from both Telmex and
Cablemás, as it's not as fast as asking for the service in the city -
Jyr, you were there, and the phone calls will be local for
you... Could you take care of it? (Nadezhda, can you please send
me/Jyr in private the phone number for Fabio's contact in Cablemás as
well as Fabio's full name?)

I want to have more than one ISP if possible, to reduce the bandwidth
overselling problem and increase reliability. Besides, asking each of
them for ~5Mbps will scare them less than asking for the double :)

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23