Re: dns requirements + network setup (Re: Network.

Hi,

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 17:24, Jaakko Niemi wrote:
> > I did not fully understand, wether we can/have to setup our own
> > DNS-server or if we'll have to use HUT's. Could you please clarify this
> > in the meeting today ?!
>  Have to ask, we propably will have answer tomorrow.

Ok, as said, it wont be a big problem if TKK/TKY is in charge of the DNS, as
long as we're in for DHCP... but please ask anyway.

>  We'll propably have wired access with HUT dhcp on friday, and wlan
>  operational on monday.

Fine. Even great :-)

> > An additional problem would be, if we would have to use their
> > DHCP-servers. (As we dont have/know all servers -> MAC adresses yet.) But
> > from what I've read, we'll run our own dhcp.
> >
> > Hmmm... if we (only) control dhcp, a static assignment of ip-addresses to
> > names would work. We (/me..) could have this list ready by friday (july
> > 1st) morning - so please ask "them" if they could+would update the DNS on
> > friday... if we also control our dns, fine.
>
>  Uh, what machines are we using FAI for? We have like five or six
>  servers, and those are easy enough to manage by hand. We cannot
>  configure them at once anyway.

As said various times I want to (and we hopefully will) use FAI for all
machines. Not for installs (therefore we should modified (read prepared with
preseeding) d-i-images), but for deploying the configurations. Even if you do
it manually on some machines, we can copy this into FAIs configdir and then
either distribute it to machines with the same config or redistribute a
changed config.

FAI will be usable as soon as the net is (it is allready (so you can try it
now - howto-url at the end of this paragraph), and has been tested on
i386/amd64 and powerpc ) and I can give you an short introduction ASAP how to
use it... during my journay to HEL I will further improve the written
documentation (specific to debconf5) as well. It's available at
http://layer-acht.org/fai/fai-at-debcon5

> > Oh and btw, I guess we'll have to give up the idea, that we tell
> > participants to bring their own APs to setup a wireless network in the
> > dorms ? So no wlan in the dorms or will the intel APs cover that or
> > should we bring our own ?? :)
>  Let's make this clear now:
>
>                            _
>  _ __   ___     __ _ _ __ | |
>
> | '_ \ / _ \   / _` | '_ \| |
> |
> | | | | (_) | | (_| | |_) |_|
> |
> |_| |_|\___/   \__,_| .__/(_)
> |
>                     |_|
>
>  Practical result of plugging your own AP into TKK network is that
> you'll get to choose between our (debconf) network access getting
> cut or your AP getting slight cosmetical tuning with a modified
> baseball bat.
>
>  So, don't even bother thinking about bringing your own.
>
>  We have dozens AP's and two engineers from Intel to install them.

Ok, ok. :-)

So I'll send a mail to -event explaining "dont bring your APs".

regards,
	Holger