Re: dns requirements + network setup (Re: Network.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Holger Levsen wrote:
> To have FAI working smoothly, we'll need DNS under our control or with our
> entries. (Because the easiest way of assigning FAI classes is by DNS.)
>
> I did not fully understand, wether we can/have to setup our own DNS-server or
> if we'll have to use HUT's. Could you please clarify this in the meeting
> today ?!

 We were in the meeting when you sent the mail :)

 Have to ask, we propably will have answer tomorrow.

> In case we'll have to use theirs, we won't need to change the configuration
> that often - we'll only have to let them set it up - which might become
> difficult as july 2nd+3rd are saturday+sunday and I expect them to leave
> somewhat earlier on friday, the 1st.

 We'll propably have wired access with HUT dhcp on friday, and wlan
 operational on monday.

> An additional problem would be, if we would have to use their DHCP-servers.
> (As we dont have/know all servers -> MAC adresses yet.) But from what I've
> read, we'll run our own dhcp.
>
> Hmmm... if we (only) control dhcp, a static assignment of ip-addresses to
> names would work. We (/me..) could have this list ready by friday (july 1st)
> morning - so please ask "them" if they could+would update the DNS on
> friday... if we also control our dns, fine.

 Uh, what machines are we using FAI for? We have like five or six
 servers, and those are easy enough to manage by hand. We cannot
 configure them at once anyway.

> This requirements are for installation and maintainance updates, that is I
> want the running servers to meet those requirements to be able to update
> their configuration with FAI while the servers are running. So this goes for
> smökki and otaz.
>
> If we have different network settings in the CSD (we're afaik only laptops
> will be operated), that's no problem. (Then we just wont be able to install
> and update the laptops there...)

 Plan currently is to glue our stuff with HUT so that people can use
 their username/password with the "Aalto" wireless network at CSD.

 http://www.tkk.fi/cc/services/aalto/

> Thanks for your efforts!
>
> Oh and btw, I guess we'll have to give up the idea, that we tell participants
> to bring their own APs to setup a wireless network in the dorms ? So no wlan
> in the dorms or will the intel APs cover that or should we bring our
> own ?? :)

 Let's make this clear now:

                           _
 _ __   ___     __ _ _ __ | |
| '_ \ / _ \   / _` | '_ \| |
                    |_|

 Practical result of plugging your own AP into TKK network is that
you'll get to choose between our (debconf) network access getting
cut or your AP getting slight cosmetical tuning with a modified
baseball bat.

 So, don't even bother thinking about bringing your own.

 We have dozens AP's and two engineers from Intel to install them.

		--j