Re: streamlining processes with barcode readers

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 00:22 +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> i (and others) have thought about how we could streamline
> processes by using barcodes and barcode readers during the
> conference.

That is an exactly idea. Another idea is using RFID cards. But probably
using barcodes is more flexible as you can print those out on a sticker
and stick them on laptops and such.

> These are ideas of how we could save time and efford by using
> them. please add to the list or punch holes in the ideas if they
> are bogus. if you can please also suggest workarounds or
> solutions.
>
> - people could print out their barcode at home and we could scan
>   it at check in and have an accellerated checkin, since
>   searching in lists would not be needed anymore

Great idea!

> - we could simplify the conference bags:
>   - no more food tickets, since the barcode on the nametag could
>     be scanned in at the restaurant door
>   - the "reimbursement" sheet could go on the participant's
>     private comas page. this could also be used to give other
>     information to specific people-groups.
>
> what else was in the bag that was personalized could be left out
> or put in last-minute (when the person arrives, like the nametag
> or tshirt)? What about room information (you stay with person A
> and B in room X)? can that be simplified? it would help if people
> could print that out themselfs at home, too.

We can also get rid of packing personalised bags. Instead just have the
bags packed with generic stuff and have additional pickup stations for a
t-shirt and other items. These stations would have a bar-code scanner as
well, and reject giving anything out if the person hadn't been
checked-in yet.

This would safe a lot of time, as last time we spent 6 hours packing all
the personalised conference bags.

> Barcode scanners exist with wifi and linux (find a company to
> sponsor us with their cooles models?). we could try to use even
> simple models (see
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5810938424&category=14929
> http://mavin.com/cuecat/ ) with a intel notebook.
>
> I guess we would need encrypted wireless or other encription to
> make the system tinker-proof.

Relying on the a central database does require good protection against
disasters as well. And any data in the database should have a history,
so any mistakes can be spotted more easily.

During DebConf5 we used a combination of a central database and printed
lists. These lists where used for checking in/out keys, registration
check-in/out, laptop-lending tracking, reimbursement tracking (cash
payments).

So I suggest the following:
(taking into account the other email from Andreas)

   * Every participant is asked to print their registration
confirmation. This is a web-page with their name and other details plus
a barcode assigned to them.
     --> Comas Status: "Confirmed"

   * This participant brings the confirmation along which is scanned at
check-in. Status of the participant changes to "
     --> Comas Status: "Check-in in progress"

   * After the reception-desk volunteer has checked the participants
passport, the volunteer scans his own barcode from his
conference-badge.
     --> Comas Status: "Checked-in"

   * Participants that forgot to print their confirmation and/or bring
it along have their own "clearly marked" reception desk with possibly a
longer queue. Here the person is searched from the database, which takes
more time.

After this short procedure the person is checked in but hasn't received
anything yet. The participant can get his key, t-shirt, reserved laptop,
conference bags at separate stations. Naturally having really separate
stations is only needed at very busy moments, at other moments various
stations can be merged.
At each station the volunteer handling the participant will also swipe
his own card to complete the procedure. There won't be any need for a
keyboard or such, just a screen and a barcode-scanner.

To know when there will be busy times, comas should require people to
provide their arrival and departure date as part of the confirmation
process.

For check-out purposes there should be a separate and dedicated
barcode-scanner. This scanner has to be clearly marked as the
participant can checkout him/herself. A monitor would also indicate if
that person forgotten to check-out their laptop and other items. And if
passports are used as guarantee for some reason it would also indicate
whether it was returned or not.

All in all a great idea to use a bar-code scanner, which could work out
great if it all works. But I suspect Comas isn't capable yet, and as DC6
would the first time to really field-test such new features it would
also require a comas developer to be stand-by and solve any problems
that arise swiftly.
In such a system Comas HAS to work, or otherwise it would be better to
use paper as last time. A fall-out of Comas during busy periods wouldn't
be very convenient for anybody involved.

-Aschwin