Re: streamlining processes with barcode readers

* Andreas Schuldei <andreas@schuldei.org> [2005-11-05 00:22:24]:
> These are ideas of how we could save time and efford by using
> them. please add to the list or punch holes in the ideas if they
> are bogus. if you can please also suggest workarounds or
> solutions.

signing things in and out can be accellerated by:
1) scanning in the "thing's" barcode (the notebooks had barcodes
   this year)
   -> the computer/scanner shows the status of the the "thing"
   (e.g. "signed in" = in our care, or "signed out" = in the
   conf participant's care)
2) scanning the participant's barcode for signing the thing out
   or
   scanning our ("organisers")  barcode to sign it in.

that's it.

================

about preventing people from abusing lost nametags with the
barcode on it:

We could print a picture of the person on to the nametag and
whenever the nametag is scanned the picture of the person is
displayed on the monitor. The person operating the scanner can
then easily see if the person holding the nametag is the same as
the one on pic on the nametag and the monitor.

For that the picture and the barcode could be printed on the
backside of the nametag, so that the front side remains readable.

For that every participant needs to upload a recognizable picture
of himself to comas.