streamlining processes with barcode readers

i (and others) have thought about how we could streamline
processes by using barcodes and barcode readers during the
conference.

These are ideas of how we could save time and efford by using
them. please add to the list or punch holes in the ideas if they
are bogus. if you can please also suggest workarounds or
solutions.

- people could print out their barcode at home and we could scan
  it at check in and have an accellerated checkin, since
  searching in lists would not be needed anymore

- we could simplify the conference bags:
  - no more food tickets, since the barcode on the nametag could
    be scanned in at the restaurant door
  - the "reimbursement" sheet could go on the participant's
    private comas page. this could also be used to give other
    information to specific people-groups.

what else was in the bag that was personalized could be left out
or put in last-minute (when the person arrives, like the nametag
or tshirt)? What about room information (you stay with person A
and B in room X)? can that be simplified? it would help if people
could print that out themselfs at home, too.

Barcode scanners exist with wifi and linux (find a company to
sponsor us with their cooles models?). we could try to use even
simple models (see
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5810938424&category=14929
http://mavin.com/cuecat/ ) with a intel notebook.

I guess we would need encrypted wireless or other encription to
make the system tinker-proof.

ideas?