Re: New layouts

* Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> [2005-09-07 15:52:29]:
> Now... We have something that can become a real problematic here: We
> have two concurrent designs going on, the one being done by Valessio
> and the one done by Pixelgirl - And I fear they will both reach
> maturity and clash at a certain point... I just don't want this point
> to be forgotten. Both designs are worth it, although they are _very_
> different. What do we all want? Who gets to decide?

I had asked pixelgirl to produce a design etc for debconf6
already before debconf5 started, so for me it is pretty clear
that I want to go with pixelgirls layout, since I think the
result will be a first class professional looking website.
I am sorry for not saying that this clealy earlier. I had asked
her to put her name into the wiki right at the beginning (and she
did) so i thought that part had been settled. When Valessio
started his work i should have pointed this fact out more
clearly.

I talked today with her. She think Gunnar's tortillia idea is
excellent and will improve the layout she produced the other day
with the ideas gunnar has shared here. She planns to come up with
an improved version after the weekend.

This brings me to an other point:

If we have experts on the team we should let them do their work.
pixelgirl is not new to graphics and design. Please check out her
website: http://www.creative-geeks.org . Just because everyone has
an oppinion on what the website, the logo etc could or should
look like and he himself is not yet busy enough with his own work
for debconf does not mean that we should take a vote or so on
how the website will be styled.  Suggestions are happily received
and good ideas are very welcome (like the one from gunnar), but
there are rules about design etc which the rest of us dont know
and dont need to bother about.

Same thing goes for accounting, fund raising, video etc. The
trick is to be helpfull *and* trusting the other to do a good
job.