Re: intel

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 02:17:37PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > Additionally we will get 30 Notebooks, 2 big 4way Xeon servers
> > with lots of RAM and HD (send me specs please! What does comas
> > want?), and additional wireless accesspoints for the basement and
> > the smökki.
>
> [I've added those machines to the wiki.]
>
> Which basement and what is the smökki ? And how many APs exactly and what
> model ?

the smökki is a very big room which we will rent 24/7 for the
duration of the event. since the absolute majority of the users
will come with wifi notebooks and we can expect most of them to
have 11g... smökki has room for 150 people, so we might need
several (8?) APs there. (will we use radius and WPA or WEP?)

at debconf4 we had all kinds of crappy APs that people brought
and actually got praise for the excellent coverage, roaming and
stability of the network.  p2-mate worked on that (with others)
and he will be there early, too. i would expect that we will be
able to achive as good results this year, with intel's APs...

the only thing i know is that they might be centrino based, and i
will ask for more details.

> One thing which is still unclear, is the situation about machines to record
> the video stuff. We need around 3 PCs (*) with 200gb HDs - having (a)
> server(s) with _lots_ of harddisc space could also come very handy if we use
> such a big server for video editing.

is mencoder (or whatever we will use) cabable of utilizing smp
machines?

How much harddisk space should i ask for? debian-day, 14+ talks, ... ?

> (*) The number 3 is based on the assumption, that there might be 3 different
> things to record at the same time.

ok.