Re: intel

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 14:49 +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 02:17:37PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:

> > One thing which is still unclear, is the situation about machines to record
> > the video stuff. We need around 3 PCs (*) with 200gb HDs - having (a)
> > server(s) with _lots_ of harddisc space could also come very handy if we use
> > such a big server for video editing.
>
> is mencoder (or whatever we will use) cabable of utilizing smp
> machines?

From what I understand...mencoder no, transcode partially, ffmpeg yes.

> How much harddisk space should i ask for? debian-day, 14+ talks, ... ?

15GB per hour should be enough for the raw video and the web encoded
versions.  If disk space becomes an issue, we can delete the raw video
and keep the original DV tapes instead.  I'd like to keep the original
tapes of everything if it's possible, but they cost around $3 each.

It's really just a matter of estimating how many hours worth of material
there is to record.

John