Re: Some ideas about Debian-Day

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Alexander Schmehl wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Before I start my report about the Debian-Day let me please appologize
> for this late mail and for not having done much till now.  I was quite
> busy at my university (more than usual), and kept busy by some private
> problems, too, but I hope to have more time in the next weeks.
>
> So, back to topic: Debian-Day.  The curent status is, that I just made
> same notes, not even filling an entire page.  But I think, that can
> change real soon ;)
>

> First open question:
>  - What exactly is our target group?
>    - local students and people interested in Linux (sure)
>      - can be reached via Local Linux User Groups and Flyers / poster at
>        University Building / (technical) book stores / computer stores
>        (must be done by a local guy),
>        Would be nice, if we could get some press coverage in advance,
>        like a small note in the local daily newspaper, telling people
>        that there will be a conference, etc.
>      - Press
>        The not technical press could be more interessted in Debian-Day,
>        since their talks won't be that advanced than the DebConf talks
>      - Sponsors
>        Yes, some sponsors might want to see there, what they are
>        sponsoring :)
>

> Some Ideas about topics that should be covered:
>
> - A small greeting by the DPL would be nice (but I didn't had the time
>   to ask him, yet)
> - What is this "Debian"-thingy?
>   - in general:  An introduction about our project
>   - technicaly:  Show why Debian GNU/Linux is a nice Distribution
>     - Easy installation
>     - Easy Administration
>     - done by people who use their system
>     - etc.
>   - 10 Tipps about Debian (apt-pinning, apt-list{bugs,changes} and other
>     usefull tools, etc.)
> - Brief introduction in Free Software (after the general Debian
>   introduction, before the technical?)
>   Differences between Freeware and Freesoftware, Definiton
> - HowTo Help Debian (without beeing an DD [and without beeing a realy
>   cool Hacker])
>   - and HowTo become later a DD

Sounds good, in the talks I have given in the past I have spoken about
similiar things.  Other points I like to make are:

- the personal story of how I chose Debian and why I became a developer.

- Debian developers are not all sandal-wearing hippies or college
  students.  They come from all walks of life and many different cultures.
  some are old, some are parents, some are even female.

 - free software != warez

- in fact you can sell free software (and specifically Debian) commercially as long
  as you abide by the   licenses.  I give some examples of companies who have done so
  successfully.

- the differences between Debian and other distros like Red Hat.  Also how
  we cooperate with them.

I would leave out the 10 tips as that is too technical for a general
introduction.  However I suggested to Andreas that we have a half-day
tutorial for novice users covering everything from basic shell commands
(mv, cp, ls, etc.) to using apt-get and rebuilding packages.  If there is
demand, we could split the tutorial into two parts, one for people who are
new to Linux altogether and one for people who only want to learn
debian-specific things.

> Well, thinking that our target audience as I understood that is not very
> known to the Debian universe (or the free software universe at all),
> even a simple "What to do, if you encouter a problem / HOWTO get
> support" talk could be usefull.

That could be a good topic for the tutorial too.

> Volunteers yet:  Me (and I'm pretty sure about jaldhar, but didn't asked
> him, yet.  BTW: jaldhar, are you on this list?)

No, I'm on debconf5-event only.  Should I join this one too?

> So we still need a lot of volunteers (or Jaldhar and me will sound quite
> croaky during debconf).

It depends on how big the audience is going to be really.

> One last word:  It would be nice, if the Debian-Day talks could be
> recorded / streamed, too.  But looking at the discussion about that, it
> looks quite complicate for me, so I would say, it is a "nice to have",
> but not a must (allthough it could be a testbed short before the "real"
> talks and the more general talks from the Debian-Day could be more
> interesting to people all over the world, than the special talks during
> Debconf).

I agree.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>