Some ideas about Debian-Day

Hi!

Before I start my report about the Debian-Day let me please appologize
for this late mail and for not having done much till now.  I was quite
busy at my university (more than usual), and kept busy by some private
problems, too, but I hope to have more time in the next weeks.

So, back to topic: Debian-Day.  The curent status is, that I just made
same notes, not even filling an entire page.  But I think, that can
change real soon ;)

First open question:
 - What exactly is our target group?
   - local students and people interested in Linux (sure)
     - can be reached via Local Linux User Groups and Flyers / poster at
       University Building / (technical) book stores / computer stores
       (must be done by a local guy),
       Would be nice, if we could get some press coverage in advance,
       like a small note in the local daily newspaper, telling people
       that there will be a conference, etc.
     - Press
       The not technical press could be more interessted in Debian-Day,
       since their talks won't be that advanced than the DebConf talks
     - Sponsors
       Yes, some sponsors might want to see there, what they are
       sponsoring :)

Some Ideas about topics that should be covered:

- A small greeting by the DPL would be nice (but I didn't had the time
  to ask him, yet)
- What is this "Debian"-thingy?
  - in general:  An introduction about our project
  - technicaly:  Show why Debian GNU/Linux is a nice Distribution
    - Easy installation
    - Easy Administration
    - done by people who use their system
    - etc.
  - 10 Tipps about Debian (apt-pinning, apt-list{bugs,changes} and other
    usefull tools, etc.)
- Brief introduction in Free Software (after the general Debian
  introduction, before the technical?)
  Differences between Freeware and Freesoftware, Definiton
- HowTo Help Debian (without beeing an DD [and without beeing a realy
  cool Hacker])
  - and HowTo become later a DD

Well, thinking that our target audience as I understood that is not very
known to the Debian universe (or the free software universe at all),
even a simple "What to do, if you encouter a problem / HOWTO get
support" talk could be usefull.

Volunteers yet:  Me (and I'm pretty sure about jaldhar, but didn't asked
him, yet.  BTW: jaldhar, are you on this list?)

So we still need a lot of volunteers (or Jaldhar and me will sound quite
croaky during debconf).

One last word:  It would be nice, if the Debian-Day talks could be
recorded / streamed, too.  But looking at the discussion about that, it
looks quite complicate for me, so I would say, it is a "nice to have",
but not a must (allthough it could be a testbed short before the "real"
talks and the more general talks from the Debian-Day could be more
interesting to people all over the world, than the special talks during
Debconf).

So much for now.  As you see, it is a quite early state of planing, and
I'm sure I forgot some points, too.  Sorry again.

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander

--
http://learn.to/quote/