Re: Infrastructure to hack & videostream: what do we have / need

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:42:43PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi, esp. mooch and liiwi :-)
>
> this is the list of questions I have at the moment about the infrastructure to
> debconf. This list is not related to (has not been uploaded to)
> http://wiki.debian.net/?DebConf5TodoAdministration, although most points from
> there are here.
>
> I would like to propose a meeting with you, mooch and liiwi, some time soon on
> irc at #debconf-team, this week at european daytime prefered.
>
> My idea is to install the machines with d-i or FAI (depending on what is more
> easy) and to maintain/update/distribute configurations with FAI.
>
> Infrastructure to hack: what do we have / need ? (IMO)
>
> - one (lockable) server room at the house where we staying (can't remember the
> name (now, will learn) :)

The server can be most likelly locked, without any problem. However, only a
limited amount of traffic will be allowed from-to the machine. I will contact
the TKK/TKY admins to see if the limit can be overridden.

> - what is the layout of the physical RJ45 infrastructure ? how many, where and
> what switches are needed ? (blueprints or a simplefied map of the area would
> be good ;)

Where are we talking about? Dormitory or CS department?

> - what is the layout of the wireless ifrastructure ?

Again, where? The dormitory has cabled ethernet rooms, and has a eth point in
each room. The CS department has eth net and wlan net, which will have
password access.

> - we need 3 firewire video cameras with tripods (assuming we have 3
> simulatious timeslots)

> - we need 3 servers with firewire for video-recordings and streaming (3ghz,
> 200gb hd)

We can provide some hardware, but i dont know up until which point it will
have the requested specs. I can ask some people here if we can get some
machines to be used there, but need some time.

> - we need 1 fileserver for user-directories
> - we need "number crunchers" for developers (and a concept for using them)
> - printer(s)
> - we need 1 server for LDAP, DNS, Proxy, FAI (or 2?)
> - we need 1 fat router to provide ipsec to the wireless clients (and a howto
> to use it)
> - we need 1 router / firewall
> - 1 video projector to display all the passwords going over the wires in
> cleartext :-)))

The last list of requests is a bit blind. We have a firewalled net there. I
understand the need of a firewall, but then i dont see the point of the ipsec
(the net is wep'ed). The other machines are on their way: HP is providing one
machine. I am most likely providing an AMD64 which needs new discs and perhaps
some more memory.

Can you clarify on these last machines?

Jesus Climent                                      info:www.pumuki.org
Unix SysAdm|Linux User #66350|Debian Developer|2.6.10|Helsinki Finland
GPG: 1024D/86946D69 BB64 2339 1CAA 7064 E429  7E18 66FC 1D7F 8694 6D69

Emily, I have a confession to make. I really am a horse doctor. But marry me,
and I'll never look at another horse.
		--Dr. Hackenbush (A Day at the Races)