Re: Call for bids for DebConf24

Lucas Nussbaum wrote...

> To help people contact potential venues, it would be useful to have
> estimates of the requirements.

Indeed. Some of these number are already given in the Wiki at
<https://wiki.debian.org/DebConf/General/Handbook/Bids/LocationCheckList>,
the remaining should be added.

Perhaps we can collect those from the last ten years' Debconfs?

> For example, for a DebConf in Europe, could someone provide guesstimates
> for:
>
> A) minimal/ideal capacity for on-site accomodation
> B) minimal/ideal capacity during the day (= (A) + people with off-site
>    accomodation), typically for meals

Note, this is all guessing (or from the Wiki).

For a DebConf at a location where we can expect many people will arrive,
like in Central Europe, we should be able to accomodate (A) 500 people,
and in other areas 300. And (B) some additional five to ten percent
off-site, depending on the quality of the accomodation.

I'd call these numbers the ideal ones - if it's less and people sign up
when it's already full, tough call.

> C) minimal/ideal number of talk rooms + capacity

I read the Wiki as "minimum three", a few more wouldn't hurt.

> D) minimal/ideal capacity of the main talk room for plenary talks

Sixty/Eighty percent of the total attendance count.

> E) minimal/ideal number of smaller meeting rooms for hacklabs

See the Wiki, there are a few more needs. I'd consider six a minimum.

> F) minimal/ideal network bandwidth

Wiki: 100M/1G (might be a bit outdated)

> G) required on-site or proximity facilities (e.g. bar)?

Not required but certainly a good idea.

    Christoph