Re: DebConf20 registration is now open (with caveats)

Giovanni Mascellani dijo [Fri, May 22, 2020 at 03:51:09PM +0200]:
> (...)

(Not specifically answering to Gio, but to the thread as a whole)

> (...) But meetings should remain as small as possible, and as
> geographically confined as possible. Organizing conferences with
> hundreds of people coming from all over the world is, in my opinion,
> irresponsible:

There's also the issue of getting there --- Most people travelling to
Israel will have to switch airplanes at an intermediate airport. Big
airports simply is something that scares me currently. People comng
from all different origins into a single space.

In any case, a DebConf20 in August would surely not gather the usual
hundreds of people, but only some dozens.

> I am sorry for the organizing team, who for sure has poured a lot of
> energy and dedication into DebConf20. They deserve all our gratitude and
> they have all mine. I know it is disappointing to see their efforts
> wasted, but in the current situation I don't think it is responsible to
> physically meet from all over the world. It's not just about the risk
> each individual attendee would accept to take: it's the risk our whole
> communities take (particularly the vulnerable ones, from the health
> viewpoint) when individuals allow the virus to spread.
>
> I hope that Debian does not organize any non-local physical meeting this
> year, although I am sad this has to happen.

I completely concur with what you and others have said. I don't think
it's in any way responsible to hold a presential conference in the
planned dates. I am happy to read in this thread that the local team
does not cling to the idea of hosting the conference in August; lets
see how life unfolds for the next ... months?

Note that we have *not* come to an official statement yet, but I'm
sure this thread has given a valuable insight on the feling of the
community.