[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: DebConf20 registration is now open (with caveats)

On 2020-05-21 Daniel Lange <DLange@debian.org> wrote:
> We are happy to announce that DebConf20 registration is now open!

> With the Covid-19 situation still rather fluid, we understand that
> everyone's plans for 2020 are not what you thought they were going
> to be when the year started. Sadly, DebConf20 is no exception.

> As of now (May 21st), Israel seems to be on top of the situation.
> Days with less than 10 new diagnosed infections are becoming common.
> Businesses and schools are slowly reopening. As such, we are hoping
> that, at least as far as regulations go, we will be able to hold an
> in-person conference. There is more (and up to date) information at the
> conference's FAQ [1].

> [1]: https://wiki.debian.org/DebConf/20/Faq

> Which means, barring a second wave, that there is reason to hope that
> the conference can go forward. Which is not the same as saying it
> _should_ move forward. For that we need your help.


I am lacking a broad view but I think for pretty much all of
western/central Europa attendance is not going to be an option. Borders
are still closed and it is going to take another three weeks to just
open *some* _inner_ European borders (like between Germany and Austria,
where there has not been a good reason to keep them closed for at least
two weeks.)

As I said I am lacking a broad worldwide view. But if you asked me
whether there was any chance of having something like Debconf in
Austria/Germany/Switzerland sometime in July or August, I would answer
"No" with 99.9% confidence.

cu Andreas
`What a good friend you are to him, Dr. Maturin. His other friends are
so grateful to you.'
`I sew his ears on from time to time, sure'

Reply to: