"Breaking Cliques at Events"

Hi -discuss,

I came across this recently…

  http://ericholscher.com/blog/2017/dec/2/breaking-cliques-at-events/

In particular...

  Most events develop an “insiders” group who's been going for a long
  time. These groups tend to feel like exclusionary cliques for first-
  time attendees, and actively hurt the community's goal of inclusion.

  I'd like to propose a simple rule that we have at the events I run,
  which I think makes inclusion easier for everyone.

Leading to:

  The rule is: For every year you have attended the event, you should
  try to meet that many new people each day.

:)

(See also: http://ericholscher.com/blog/2017/aug/2/pacman-rule-conferences/)

Best wishes,

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb, Debian Project Leader 2017