Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On 11 September 2014 12:55, Richard Hartmann
<richih.mailinglist@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@debian.org> wrote:
>> Tagging is a different issue. IMO nobody should tag any other person on
>> any photo. I'm well aware that with todays face recognition technology
>> this won't help much, but still I belive there's a difference between
>> having an anonymous picture published and putting names to the
>> persons on it.
>>
>> Of course not tagging someone does not mean that it's OK to make the
>> picture if the person does not want to be photographed.
>
> I was referring specifically to this:
>
> https://wiki.debconf.org/upload/thumb/f/f5/Debconf13_group_photo_with_tags.jpeg/1000px-Debconf13_group_photo_with_tags.jpeg
>
> I am not sure I ever consented and this tagging seems to be a tradition.

As a general rule (that I propose we also codify) you should only tag
yourself in Debconf photos.

The group photo has been traditionally the one exception to this
general rule. In that people have been asked to also tag others
(unless they have explicitly asked not to be tagged in the group photo
by leaving an appropriate comment by their number). The expectation is
that by default if you go to the group picture, then you want to be
seen as part of the group.

P.S. I have not gotten around to creating a taggable group photo this
year yet. If anyone wants to help me with that, then the most time
consuming part of this is creating a version of group photo with
numbers - you can simply open the group photo in GIMP (or equivalent),
scale it down a bit (3k-4k px wide is enough) and then add sequential
numbers (preferably in bold yellow font) next to each face in the
photo. Using uniform location of the number relative to the face and
going consistently horizontally or vertically without jumping around
helps a lot. https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/GroupPhoto is the
page for that.

--
Best regards,