Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@debian.org> wrote:

> Tagging is a different issue. IMO nobody should tag any other person on
> any photo. I'm well aware that with todays face recognition technology
> this won't help much, but still I belive there's a difference between
> having an anonymous picture published and putting names to the
> persons on it.
>
> Of course not tagging someone does not mean that it's OK to make the
> picture if the person does not want to be photographed.

I was referring specifically to this:

https://wiki.debconf.org/upload/thumb/f/f5/Debconf13_group_photo_with_tags.jpeg/1000px-Debconf13_group_photo_with_tags.jpeg

I am not sure I ever consented and this tagging seems to be a tradition.

>> * What defines a "photo of a person"? I suspect we will all agree that
>> that "frontal body shot including face" meets all criteria while "half
>> a shoe" does not. Specifically, I am wondering if having a profile or
>> the back of someone's head in a picture, even though those people
>> don't want to be photographed, would be OK. Personally, I think a
>> profile is too much and a back-of-the-head shot should be avoided if
>> possible.
>
> I'd say as long as the person is recognizable. That's also the
> definition the law uses at least in Germany.

That's suitably opaque to invite endless discussion ;)
But on a good faith basis, it's most likely sufficient.

Richard