Re: [Debconf-discuss] Information about accommodation at le camp (photos and plans) ·

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud writes ("Re: [Debconf-discuss] Information about accommodation at le camp (photos and plans) ·"):
> Thanks for this (more) informed mail. Unfortunately, it has some
> imprecisions that (unwillingly, I'm sure), spread FUD.

I'm extremely concerned that a member of the DC local team should be
telling someone with concerns that they are spreading FUD.  The right
approach to concerns of this kind is to provide convincing, definite,
and reassuring information in response.

There have been past occasions where worriers (if I can call them
that) have been accused by DC local team members of spreading FUD.
The history of those occasions does not inspire confidence.

> As for other hotels, the list we begun to build is there:
> 	http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/AlternativeAccomodation

This list certainly doesn't inspire confidence either.  I could
personally ride 10km by bike to and from my accomodation but I doubt
many people will want to do that.  And I think the number of rooms
here is probably significantly smaller than is needed.

Do any of the DC global team have reasonable estimates of the
proportion of DC attendees who normally obtain accomodation
elsewhere ?

Even if the space is sufficient I think a result where substantial
number of people end up staying miles away and driving to the
conference is suboptimal.  From a transport sustainability point of
view if nothing else.

I have also heard disturbing suggestions[1] that members of DC13 local
team have threatened to quit if they don't get their way on selection
of Le Camp as the site.

Obviously people who've put work into trying to get the Le Camp
proposal into shape will find it disappointing if it doesn't make the
grade.

But I think this is would be a poor basis for making this decision.

[1] For example,
 http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20121122.192849.e79f4d63.en.html
and AIUI people have been talking about a "veto" on IRC.

Thanks,
Ian.