Re: [Debconf-discuss] pictures and privacy (was: my pictures so far (including the bicyle tour))

* Aigars Mahinovs (aigarius@gmail.com) [110807 11:43]:
> On 6 August 2011 19:41, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:
> > As said before, this reverses responsibility. It is *your*
> > responsibility to ensure that whatever you do does not interfere
> > with the privacy, intimacy, and freedom of others. An argument like
> > "I've tried, but I have bad memory and thus …" is just a cop-out.
>
> Legally there are only two real options:
> * either we view Debconf as an newsworthy even of public import (or
> whatever the exact definition is in your region) and in that case
> there is no expectation of privacy;

Actually, at least in this legal area here, one is only allowed to use
these pictures related to the event, within context, and where and as
far useful for reporting.

So, one could publish a picture of someone giving an talk with names
and talk title added to the picture. Also, there is no issue with a
picture of the hacklab with a group of people titled as "Developers in
the hacklab". However, adding the names of the developers to the
picture would be an issue, because it doesn't improve the report - and
yes, I think that's the sensible border. And only one developer in the
picture at the hacklab is also an issue.

That's why e.g. being part of the group picture is totally different
from per-person-shots. (There is an additional rule for "people so
important for history that they can be published always and
everywhere even without context". But that doesn't apply to anyone
within Debconf, at least AFAICS.)

Any picture one publishes needs to be legally ok. Which either goes
via the rule above, or by asking people. Like always. And it doesn't
prevent pictures with people in it - it does prevent pictures with
only few or named people in it who are not asked unless in a situation
one could report about.

Andi