Re: [Debconf-discuss] pictures and privacy

On Sun Aug 07 14:15, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> Depending on local laws, that's not enough.  The picture itself has to
> be of something newsworthy, so a picture of somebody giving a speech
> would be, but a picture of the a team drinking coffee would not
> (necessarily) be.

> I believe most laws here just say you have to give consent, not what
> form the consent has to be given in, so a mail fra a given person with
> «I'm ok with you publishing my picture» would be ok.

Certainly in the UK if you are in a public place you have no expectation of
privacy in such places and no permission needs to be granted for photos there
(subject to them not being offensive, defamation, harassment, etc). In
particular, the DPA doesn't just list journalism as a special exception, but
also for literary or artistic purposes. I assume the latter would be the claim
for other photos taken at debconf. (See [0] for details)

The WIPO website [1] also gives similar guidence, so I would expect it to
generally also be true in other WIPO-signatory countries (IE, most of them).

Matt

0. http://photorights.org/faq/is-it-legal-to-take-photos-of-people-without-asking
1. http://www.wipo.int/sme/en/documents/ip_photography.htm#3.