Re: [Debconf-discuss] V Pay cards at ATMs in Bosnia and Croatia

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:53:47AM +0200, Vedran Omeragic wrote:
> On 07/19/2011 10:06 AM, Torsten Werner wrote:
> > is it true that V Pay cards cannot be used at ATMs in Bosnia and
> > Croatia? Having both Visa and Maestro it is not a problem for me.
> > But other people might have a problem.

> Yes, Visa and MasterCard, both credit and debit, will work without any
> problems. _However_ ATMs will _only_ accept cards with chips, but
> while buying in shops, any regular card will work. There is an ATM
> near the reception in hotel Bosna, and I tested it myself, as well as
> some other attendees and it worked; though one of the attendees tried
> his chipless card and it wouldn't accept it.
> If you're experiencing problems with your card, you can always go to
> one of the banks (can be found on the map on our homepage).

This news was very worrying to me; as an American I have no cards with
chips, and while my card is an ATM card (not a credit or debit card) and
it's possible it might work in the ATM (if they support the Cirrus network
too, perhaps?), I was not anticipating having to deal with alternate means
of acquiring currency.

So since I'm flying out today, with no time to acquire travelers checks or
foreign currency via my bank, this turned into a 2am run to the ATM to get
more USD just in case I have to use the currency exchange instead.

Since this has a significant impact on attendees' travel planning (at least
when coming from the US), and a lot of that travel is happening shortly, I
think it would be helpful if those who have scouted out the ATM options
could post the available information on
<http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf11/Currency>.  In particular, these
kinds of details seem to be relevant:

 - whether your card is chip-and-pin or magnetic stripe
 - whether your transaction was credit (i.e., cash advance), VISA debit,
   or ATM
 - what logos the ATM advertises
 - what logos your *card* advertises
 - whether it worked

And I guess I'll be doing my part to contribute to the knowledge base when I
get to Banja Luka in about 24 hours. :)

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:28:04AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> The above information was not actually as imprecise as you imply - the
> specific term "Maestro" is supposed to mean a debit card with chip/PIN,
> it's not a generic company name like "Visa".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_%28debit_card%29 ...

Maestro seems perfectly analogous to Visa.

> Also it's common (at least in my experience) for all ATMs to be networked
> and allow "bank roaming", i.e. you can insert compatible debit cards into
> any ATM, regardless of whether the banks or issuers don't match, and they
> only thing that may differ will be the fees.

This is implemented by way of a service such as Maestro (or Cirrus, or Visa
Electron).  It works ubiquitously because there is a fairly small number of
networks which all the banks choose to participate in.

Cheers,