Re: [Debconf-discuss] V Pay cards at ATMs in Bosnia and Croatia

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 01:31:07PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> This news was very worrying to me; as an American I have no cards with
> chips, and while my card is an ATM card (not a credit or debit card) and
> it's possible it might work in the ATM (if they support the Cirrus network
> too, perhaps?)

Yes, Maestro and Cirrus are linked, probably inextricably these days.

> > The above information was not actually as imprecise as you imply - the
> > specific term "Maestro" is supposed to mean a debit card with chip/PIN,
> > it's not a generic company name like "Visa".
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_%28debit_card%29 ...
>
> Maestro seems perfectly analogous to Visa.

I think you misread it... it says right there:

	It requires electronic authorisation much like a Solo debit card,
	i.e. not only must the information stored in either the chip or the
	magnetic stripe be read, this has to be sent from the Merchant to
	the issuing bank, the issuing bank then has to respond with an
	affirmative authorisation.

> > Also it's common (at least in my experience) for all ATMs to be networked
> > and allow "bank roaming", i.e. you can insert compatible debit cards into
> > any ATM, regardless of whether the banks or issuers don't match, and they
> > only thing that may differ will be the fees.
>
> This is implemented by way of a service such as Maestro (or Cirrus, or Visa
> Electron).  It works ubiquitously because there is a fairly small number of
> networks which all the banks choose to participate in.

Yes, but I think you have discern between cards and networks.
The card brands are Visa Electron and Maestro, while their counterpart
networks are Cirrus and PLUS, respectively. The card links a bank account
to a chip, while the network enables communication using the chips.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.