Re: [Debconf-discuss] V Pay cards at ATMs in Bosnia and Croatia

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:47:19AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > Does Visa card literally mean Visa *only* or do you want to express just
> > > the difference between credit card[1] and debit card[2]?  Or in other
> > > words:  I have a Maestro *debit card* and a Mastercard[3] *credit card*
> > > but no Visa card.  Will I get some money at a random ATM at least with
> > > the later[3]?
> >
> > Google tells us that Maestro should work in both countries.
>
> Do you think that I can convince a random ATM by the things Google is
> telling us to give me some money?

The above information was not actually as imprecise as you imply - the
specific term "Maestro" is supposed to mean a debit card with chip/PIN,
it's not a generic company name like "Visa".

Also it's common (at least in my experience) for all ATMs to be networked
and allow "bank roaming", i.e. you can insert compatible debit cards into
any ATM, regardless of whether the banks or issuers don't match, and they
only thing that may differ will be the fees. In other words, compatibility
is determined by technical means rather than organizational ones - if
a device requires you to enter a PIN for authorization, and you don't have
a PIN, then that won't work, but otherwise they'll accomodate you.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.