Re: [Debconf-discuss] Trying for a US->Banja Luka travel discount?

Hi again,

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 04:36:25PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> Hi Arthur,
>
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 04:30:55PM -0400, Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
> > Had we prepared better for this, we could have used something like SkyTeam
> > Global Meetings or Star Alliance Convention Plus.
> > That would give us a blanket discount on all flights to DebConf.
>
> I assume from your wording that it is no longer possible to do this for
> DebConf11. In that case, let's act very soon after the dates for DebConf12 are
> made final to offer these options for that conference and subsequent years.
> Thanks for mentioning these programs!

Apparently if we use Star Alliance Meetings Plus (as opposed to Convention
Plus) we can do it with as little as 30 days lead time and 50 participants from
3 countries. For Star Alliance Convention Plus we need six months lead time,
but unfortunately a minimum of 500 participants which is unlikely for us even
for DebConf12.  SkyTeam Global Meetings requires at least 50 participants from
2 countries and an unspecified lead time. Once we register, those agreements
are probably reusable in future years, assuming we use one of our long-standing
legal entities like SPI or FFIS.

Shall I contact Star Alliance and SkyTeam and see what's possible for
DebConf11? It would still help to know who would be interested in using one of
these arrangements, via one of those airline alliances, who hasn't booked their
DebConf11 flights yet. We'd also need to make a separate group booking for
whatever form(s) of transport we use for the last leg to/from Banja Luka, if we
want a discount for that, since those airlines don't go there.

Please still speak up if you're interested in my original idea; single-flight
or even multi-flight/single-airline group bookings probably have lower
thresholds if these programs are available with the numbers I quoted above.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org