Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-team] Travel sponsorship BoF: minutes

tony mancill dijo [Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 03:03:43PM -0700]:
> > Given that finding good flight prices is hard, would it be worthwhile to
> > get a travel agent to arrange transportation for everyone? A good agent
> > might be able to find much better deals than most people, and might not
> > be too expensive.
>
> Although I'm sure people can present counter-examples for specific instances, I
> suspect that using a travel agent would result in cost-savings on average.  It
> may also result in opportunities to consolidate - e.g. it would be difficult for
> a given attendee to arrange to buy tickets in a block for a group of attendees,
> but a travel agent could do this easily.

I have tried this in the past, both for DebConf and for other
conferences. Usually, airlines will get you bulk discounts (of around
10%) for groups over 5 or 10 people travelling together - However,
that has never been the case with us. "Travelling together" means
leaving from the same starting airport, arriving to the same airport,
on the same dates. Usually the times for travelling back are also
constrained so they are considered as "together".

If you buy a ticket to an intermediate hub by yourself, group with
other Debianers, and buy the second ticket for this bulk discount, the
result will be insanely more expensive.