Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-team] Travel sponsorship BoF: minutes

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 03:03:43PM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
> On 08/22/2010 11:34 AM, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > On su, 2010-08-22 at 14:23 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> >> I think it's totally reasonable to use our projects funds wisely. That is, if
> >> you get or apply for travel sponsorship, to help looking for good prices.

> > Given that finding good flight prices is hard, would it be worthwhile to
> > get a travel agent to arrange transportation for everyone? A good agent
> > might be able to find much better deals than most people, and might not
> > be too expensive.

> Although I'm sure people can present counter-examples for specific
> instances, I suspect that using a travel agent would result in
> cost-savings on average.

If this were true, I would not expect travel agencies to be in a steady
decline over the past decade as a result of on-line travel sites.  Clint
points out that corporate travel agencies typically have high
per-transaction fees; this has been my experience as well; and it will
generally be quite difficult to arrange this as group travel since there are
so many distinct points of departure.

I simply don't see any way that a travel agent is going to help.  Maybe
negotiating a group rate with a specific airline would be worth trying, but
that also depends on having leverage; if we tell them we're all traveling to
a city for which they're the undisputed preference, they have no incentive
to give us a better rate because they're assured of having our business
anyway. :)

Skepticism aside, if someone thinks it's worth their time to look into
working with a travel agent to find out what it would cost us and what it
might save us, I have no objections.