Re: [Debconf-discuss] More questions regarding what to bring for DebConf10 (and other stuff)

2010/7/22 Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>
Hi.

I am resending this (with another question appended at the end) because
I think that my messages are not getting through.

On Jul 22 2010, Rogério Brito wrote:
> Hi there, people.
>
> As a continuation of what one should bring when coming to this
> year's Debconf, I have some questions:
>
> 1 - What type of mains outlets will we use? I faintly remember having
>     read this one, but can't find it again.  An A plug? B plug? [1][2]
>     Any other? And the voltage? 127V?
>
>     [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A_plug.jpg
>     [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Domestic_AC_Type_B_USA.jpg

B plug, most likely.

> 2 - The "What to bring" section of the Welcome page [3] says that one
>     should bring a "long" ethernet cable. How long should that be? Are 3
>     meters sufficient?
>
>     [3] http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/Welcome#What_to_bring

10 feet long would seem enough.

> 3 - How much money should one bring? Say, how much does "an average" bus
>     trip cost (say, from the JFK airport to Columbia University)? Should
>     one bring money for tips? (Is this a common usage?)

A single ride either on bus or subway train costs $2.25. You can get from Kennedy Airport to Columbia with just that amount of cash (but you do need to pay the internal airport train AirTrain that takes you from terminals to one of the two subway stations Howard Beach, on the A train line, or Jamaica on the E train line, which is $5, I believe). Tips are not common on public transportation (only on taxi cabs). But some extra cash is always advisable for emergencies or unseen circumstances.

>> 4 - Are there convenience stores located in the campus/near the campus?
>> 5 - Are there any regulations regarding, say, getting out of the campus
>     at night, if one needs to? Say, one is hungry in the middle of the
>     night or one needs to go to a drug store or to a hospital?
> 6 - What transportation means would be needed to get to commerce as
>     above?
> 7 - Again in the "What to bring" section of the welcome page there is a
>     "your health insurance details". I think that my health insurance is
>     (perhaps) only valid inside my country. Does this mean that I am
>     foobar'ed?

I'd let someone from Columbia answer here.

8 - Is the network access in the dorms restricted in any way?

That too.

--
http://twitter.com/damogzito
http://stereonaut.net/