Re: [Debconf-discuss] More questions regarding what to bring for DebConf10 (and other stuff)

On Thursday 22 July 2010 13:08:26 David Moreno wrote:
> 2010/7/22 Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>

> > > 1 - What type of mains outlets will we use? I faintly remember having
> > >
> > >     read this one, but can't find it again.  An A plug? B plug? [1][2]
> > >     Any other? And the voltage? 127V?
> > >
> > >     [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A_plug.jpg
> > >     [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Domestic_AC_Type_B_USA.jpg
>
> B plug, most likely.

It should be B plug and "120 volts" is how the voltage is usually referred to.
Actual voltage varies but is usually between 120 - 125 volts @ 60 Hz.

The "A plug" (without a ground lead) is still somewhat common in the US in
older structures, but can be converted to "B" with a cheap adapter that uses
the center screw for the cover plate to connect the ground lead.

I believe so.  There are several restaurants and a couple of coffee shops as
well.  [I went to a job fair at Columbia University last November.]  The one
thing I'm not sure of is if there's a "real supermarket" nearby.

> > 6 - What transportation means would be needed to get to commerce as
> > >     above?

Everything I'm mentioning is walkable.  I went to a convenience store/deli
right across the street from campus when I was last there.  When you get here
you'll see -- you can probably find most of what you'd need within walking
distance.

> > > 7 - Again in the "What to bring" section of the welcome page there is a
> > >     "your health insurance details". I think that my health insurance
> > >     is (perhaps) only valid inside my country. Does this mean that I
> > >     am foobar'ed?

As far as I know it's possible to contact your insurance company and get
temporary coverage when visiting a foreign nation.  When a friend from the UK
inquired about doing this [back in 2002] it was relatively cheap.

> > 8 - Is the network access in the dorms restricted in any way?
>
> That too.

I have no inside knowledge of Columbia University, but every University I know
of has been forced into doing some kind of filtering or monitoring to look for
illegal file sharing via P2P networking.

  -- Chris