[Debconf-discuss] Debconf runners: how about participate to a local 5K race during DebConf?

Some people among DebConf attendees like running. Some of you might
know that I am among them. And I know I'm not alone.

This year, having DebConf in a big city opens new opportunities to
those of us who like to have a break for their fingers and thus move
their legs instead.

So, recently, I got in touch with a local group of runners who happen
to organize a 5K (K stands for kilometers, not for thousands of
dollars in prizes) race every other Thursday not too far from the
DebConf venue. And, guess what? They'll have one on Aug 5th, so during
DebConf.

I indeed already plan to go there and enjoy running with other running
freaks. The race is apparently quite friendly and opened to all kind
of runners (from the videos I've seen).

The running group is the Van Cortland Track Club, and happen to have
their "running headquarters" in Van Cortland Park, in Bronx. The race
is called the "XC Summer Series". Start is at 7pm and a participation
of UDS5 is asked to participate.

More details can be found at
http://vctconline.ning.com/page/xc-summer-series-2

The race location is very easy to access from DebConf venue at
Columbia: use subway line 1 all the way to the end (242th street) and
walk a few mins to Van Cortland Park. The trip should be about 30
minutes or so. From Google Maps, Van Cortland Park seems to be a nice
place... Hopefully, New-Yorkers can confirm...or tell me that I'm crazy!

I'm 99.9% sure that I'll participate as any occasion to share some
moments with running freaks is nearly as important for me as sharing
moment with geeks (you can imagine with running geeks, then).

So, in case some folks are interested, just followup to this mail. If
there's enough interest, I can for sure setup a wiki page on
wiki.debconf.org to coordinate things (though, there isn't much to
coordinate except setting a meeting point and form a group to go
through The Wild New York City Subway to A Wild Park In The Wild
Bronx).