Re: [Debconf-discuss] How much is the regular room?

Michael Schultheiss <schultmc@debian.org> wrote:
> http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Extremadura#Accomodation mentions "hall of
> residence" which I assume is synonymous with dormitory.  That section of
> the wiki also lists nearby hotels and hostels.

At least in England and France, a hall of residence is somewhere
between a flat and a hotel room.  Private rooms, shared kitchens and
facilities.  Like a very large-scale house let by the room.  See
http://www.ueaaccommodation.com/media/images/gallery/standard/norfolksuffolk/norfolksuffolk.html
"Rooms in the architecturally unique ziggurats of Norfolk and Suffolk
are arranged in flats of up to 12 rooms, each with own washbasin, and
each flat has a large kitchen/diner overlooking the broad."
http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/student+residences/stadardrooms

So, either "synonymous with dormitory" is a bad assumption or the
"hall of residence" description's a bit misleading IMO.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef