Re: [Debconf-discuss] Cheese and Wine BoF

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> also sprach MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> [2007.05.29.1040 +0200]:
> > Unless there's a good cheese importer nearby.  That could still be
> > good, as visitors will know their region's cheeses better than us.
>
> Unfortunately, it's not possible to buy uninfected/undeadly cheese
> in the origin country; you have to go abroad and buy it with an
> importer to get the safe stuff. Yeah, makes sense.

As I wrote, I don't much like this rule, but it's there and we need to
deal with it.  I wish the DEFRA FAQ would explain how/why food
importers work, but it doesn't.  I'd send them feedback if their
feedback form actually worked...

I'm guessing that the idea is that if the food is found to be deadly,
then gov.uk can issue counter-measures down the regulated import chain
and don't have to record who brought what into the country and track
them all the time.  Even though some of our police are actually
starting to use unmanned black helicopters, as reported in
http://www.merseyside.police.uk/html/news/news/may/cd21-05b-police.htm
they don't track all movements of every visitor to the UK. Yet.

Regards,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.