[Debconf-discuss] Cheese and Wine BoF

Do the organisers of the Cheese and Wine BoF know the restrictions on
importing milk products into the UK?

  "if you travel to most countries outside the European Union including
  USA, Australia and New Zealand, it is illegal to bring meat and
  milk-based products for your personal use back into the UK."
  -- http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/illegali/topics/faq.htm#2

http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf7/CheeseWineBoF
suggests that many people are going to try illegally importing cheese,
which carries an unlimited fine and up to seven years in prison.  In
particular, see
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/illegali/topics/faq.htm#14 which says:

  Q14. Where can I bring cheese back from?

  A. Any milk products are permitted from other European Member States
  or Andorra, the Canary Islands, the Channel Islands, Isle of Man,
  Norway and San Marino. Small quantities of milk and milk products
  are permitted from [the Faroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland,
  Liechtenstein, and Switzerland], but are banned from all other
  countries.

Also, does a party count as personal use or not?

FWIW, I don't like these rules much, but I like seeing DDs imprisoned
even less.

Best wishes,
--
MJR/slef