Re: [Debconf-discuss] Presentation no longer on the schedule!?

I might be mistaken, but I couldn't find any reference of you being
involved in Ubuntu and Debian development. So your point of view is an
outsider's point of view, and I'm not sure it's worth a talk in either
DebianDay or Debconf.

My goal is not to debate my presentation before I give it, simply to find someone who is responsible for the schedule, and who will respond to my e-mails, to find out if I may be invited to make my presentation at Debconf, or not. I would like to, given that I've booked my plane ticket, set aside the time, and made a presentation. Again, if I had been turned down way back in March, I wouldn't be re-arguing the point here. Of course public debate of all details is the Debian way, and this "insider perspective" is making me think I should add another bullet point to my talk about the importance of focus--if I give it!

Your assumption is that no one outside of Ubuntu or Debian development has any ideas which may be relevant to the issue of Ubuntu / Debian, but I disagree with that way of thinking. Furthermore, you don't need to join the Debian/Ubuntu team to read blog postings, send e-mails to Debian and Ubuntu developers on this topic, read the fork/branch memo, etc. Actually doing all of this didn't change my perspective, in fact it validated it, but allows me to tailor my talk to use terms and examples that would be familiar to you guys.

All the points you raise in your blog have already
been raised (and answered) several times in the past.

I believe that several of the points I raise have not been raised by others, or if they have, they have been glossed over and forgotten, most specifically around sharing areas of responsibility, something I'm not ready to get into here.

While you think all the questions have been answered, I think there are *many* questions that have been asked, but not answered. Take for example, Joey Hess's question: "Is Debian is being relegated to a supermarket of components?" I have not seen an answer to that question.

I think there are many unanswered questions about this relationship that I believe my talk will give a new perspective on, which is why I was excited about giving it.

Have you considered getting involved in Debian and/or Ubuntu
development (especially in areas involving collaboration between Ubuntu
and Debian), so you could get an insider view and compare your ideas
with reality ?

I thought that making a presentation was a way to get involved. If I did decide to become a developer, I'd have to figure out which team I should join. There's another unanswered question.

In the meantime, besides any scheduling considerations, I don't think
it's a good idea that you talk about that at DebianDay/Debconf (note
that I'm not involved in any way in Debconf/DebianDay organization).

Your are not involved in the decision-making, but you still wanted everyone to know that you think I don't have anything to add. Ok.

I hope you will come to Debconf, and can attend some sort of
"Debian/Ubuntu collaboration" BOF.

I would of course, but I also feel that what I have to contribute will take a number of minutes to convey.