jaunt into Russia?

After doing a bit of web surfing and talking to Lars Wirzenius about this,
I thought I'd come to the list with it.

I'd be interested in arranging a little side jaunt into Russia after
DebConf for myself and my wife Michelle, and any other attendees who'd like
to join me (someone who is bilingual English/Russian would obviously be
invaluable).

Long story short, Russia's always held a fascination for me, particularly
as a U.S. Cold War kid.  There is apparently twice-daily train service
between Helsinki and St. Petersburg.  The trip is about 5.5 hours
(including about an hour stopped at the border while the officials check to
see if your papers are in order), and costs about EUR 50.

I was thinking about traveling out on Monday morning, 18 July, spending the
night, and returning in the evening of 19 July.  My travel schedule is not
very firm yet, so I might be persuaded to wait until 20 July to come back,
but I want to see some of Helsinki, too.  :)

The downside is that apparently Russian visas are really slow to process,
at least for U.S. people.  I'd need to apply probably a month in advance.

If no one else at all is interested in this, I still might do it, but I'd
be much more comfortable traveling in a group.  If nothing else, I might
need the assistance of a strong person to help me lift Michelle's
wheelchair over the inevitable unfriendly steps and ruts.  :)

What do you guys think?

--
G. Branden Robinson            |      The basic test of freedom is
Free Software Developer        |      perhaps less in what we are free to