Re: jaunt into Russia?

Quoting Branden Robinson <branden@deadbeast.net>:
> Long story short, Russia's always held a fascination for me, particularly
> as a U.S. Cold War kid.  There is apparently twice-daily train service

The "evil empire", as in Flemings "From Russia with Love" :-)

> between Helsinki and St. Petersburg.  The trip is about 5.5 hours

Seems to be correct according to Deutsche Bahn (German rail)
web site.  I thought about going to St Petersburg, but
changed my mind, because of the paperwork.

> (including about an hour stopped at the border while the officials check to
> see if your papers are in order), and costs about EUR 50.

The train ticket is ~50 EUR (2nd class) or ~80..90 EUR (first
class).  I've been told, that a visa for Russia is ~85 EUR.

> very firm yet, so I might be persuaded to wait until 20 July to come back,
> but I want to see some of Helsinki, too.  :)

Everybody told me St Petersburg to be the "Venice of the
North" and staying two nights is a must.

> The downside is that apparently Russian visas are really slow to process,
> at least for U.S. people.  I'd need to apply probably a month in advance.

EU citizens seem to be in no better position.

Cheers, Wolfgang Borgert