Re: jaunt into Russia?

On 5/31/05, Branden Robinson <branden@deadbeast.net> wrote:

> I was thinking about traveling out on Monday morning, 18 July, spending the
> night, and returning in the evening of 19 July.  My travel schedule is not
> very firm yet, so I might be persuaded to wait until 20 July to come back,
> but I want to see some of Helsinki, too.  :)

I can accompany you during your day in St.-Petersburg (at least, part of the
day, since it's a working day :), but I'm afraid I will be travelling
from Debconf
earlier than Monday 18th.

> The downside is that apparently Russian visas are really slow to process,
> at least for U.S. people.  I'd need to apply probably a month in advance.

Yes. One option might be that you find some (of Russian origin would
be the best)
travelling agency organising trips to Russia and they may help you
with the visa
for some fee. I'm not sure about the exact amounts, but it shouldn't
be too much,
I guess.

> If no one else at all is interested in this, I still might do it, but I'd
> be much more comfortable traveling in a group.  If nothing else, I might
> need the assistance of a strong person to help me lift Michelle's
> wheelchair over the inevitable unfriendly steps and ruts.  :)

I can meet you at the railway station and help with the wheelchair, but
it would be pretty hard to use subway and other public transportation
means with the wheelchair -- it isn't upgraded enough yet :(
There are two options, essentially -- going by walk the whole day
(isn't as scary as it sounds -- railway station isn't that far from the center
of the city), or ordering some kind of special taxi. That might be somewhat
expensive in a foreigner-oriented company. I will check with my friends
running a tourist-transportation company whether they have needed
facilities at reasonable prices.

> What do you guys think?

It would be a nice trip :)

--